I often find that a lot of us girls are looking for the perfect makeup product that will make our skin look flawless. It’s a vicious cycle of throwing money at makeup to make your skin look better, clogging your pores, coming up in spots and then buying more products to cover your skin. With billions of products from thousands of companies all claiming to be the new wonder thing that will instantly transform you into a photoshopped version of yourself, it’s hard to know what actually works.
Through much trial and error and now that I’m making my way through my twenties, I’ve finally come to the revelation that has been staring me in the face all along.
The secret to good makeup is very simple- good skin.
Your skin is the foundation you build your layers of makeup on, so in order to have makeup that looks good, you need to have a good base.
I know, I can’t believe it’s taken me that long to work that out either.
I’ve always been very particular with my skincare, and for the past few months I’ve been using the two Mabel + Meg products below which they have transformed my skin and as a consequence, helped my makeup look flawless.
Here I’m going to tell you how you what these two products are, what they do and how to use them in your daily routine!
Silk Slumber Retinol-Peptide Treatment
My mum introduced me to retinol a little while back and was telling me about all the anti-aging benefits of it and how it reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. At first, I thought that it sounded cool, but anti-aging products are only for older women surely? Why did I need to use anti-aging products until I actually get wrinkles?
After doing my own research I’ve found that retinol can also be used as a preventative of wrinkles- so the earlier you start using it, the better! Men and women of all ages can benefit from the properties of retinol.
Here are just a few of the things that retinol can do for your skin:
- The vitamin A properties in retinol boost collagen production, which reduced fine lines and wrinkles;
- It speeds cell turnover, which evens out and brightens your skin tone; and
- It unclogs your pores – which makes your pores appear small, reduces spots and treats acne.
After using the Silk Slumber Treatment for a while now, I’ve now found the best ways to use it in order to benefit from all of the results above!
Tips on how to use the Silk Slumber Treatment for the best results:
- Apply at night: make sure you apply this product after your nightly routine and right before bed. All forms of retinol deteriorate when exposed to light which is why it’s important to keep your little tub in a dark and dry place, and only apply the product itself before you go to sleep.
- Process: my usual process for applying is:
- Wash my face;
- Apply my moisturizer (I use raw shea butter);
- Apply a small amount of the Silk Slumber Treatment all over my face; and
- Only use a bit: You don’t need to coat your face in this product. A little goes a long way! Also, too much retinol can cause irritation or for your skin to dry out, so use this sparingly.
- Remember your SPF: As the chemicals in this product scrub away dead skin cells, your skin will be more open to potential sun damage. So, don’t forget your SPF in the morning before you leave the house!
After about 12 weeks of using this product every night you will notice a huge difference in your skin and feel that your face has more of a dewy and fresh look in the mornings.
Since April of last year, I’ve tested out about 3 rival retinol serums and creams and I have to say that this is by far the best and has had the biggest difference on my skin. The pot itself also lasts for ages if you use it right! I cannot recommend this enough to all ladies of all ages! It will transform your skin (and life).
Click here for the Silk Slumber Treatment.
This serum is made from Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C. Hyaluronic Acid is something which I’ve encountered fairly recently, and still cannot seem to spell correctly without spellcheck. The main benefit of Hyaluronic acid is hydration. Every skin type can benefit from this serum, and I’ve heard that it is also gentle on acne prone skin.
I’ve always heard good things about hyaluronic acid, but never known how to use it and as a result, I’ve never got the results I’ve heard all the blogs talk about. So I had a bit of a trial and error period with the Lumilixir Serum and I found that as this serum has a very light finish, it works perfectly in my morning routine before applying my makeup. Since I’ve incorporated the Mabel + Meg serum into my morning routine, I’ve finally started seeing the results that people were raving about. My skin is visibly more hydrated and glowy. However, there is a specific way to apply the serum to ensure you get a visible difference and a good base for your makeup.
To get the best results from your Lumilixir Serum, take the following steps:
- Wake up and wash your face;
- Apply the Lumilixir Serum to damp skin;
- Allow the serum to air dry;
- Apply your moisturizer; and
- Apply your makeup as usual.
It’s important to apply the serum to damp skin as the hyaluronic acid draws water to the skin and prevents moisture loss- which is what gives you that radiant and hydrated look.
Click here for the Lumilixir Serum.
So there you have it- use the Silk Slumber Treatment for your night time routine and the Lumilixir Serum for your morning routine and prepare to see a huge difference in your skin. My two secrets to getting flawless skin and having the perfect base to apply your makeup.
Mabel + Meg products are also 100% cruelty free and they’re vegan so everyone can try them without harming any animals!
Have you tried retinol or hyaluronic acid? What do you think? Comment your thoughts or tips below!